Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I tried to leave Ontario, Oregon late yesterday afternoon. I picked-up some food to take with me and was stopped by a woman who offered to cook me a meal.

She took me to her house where I met her sorry excuse of a husband. He tossed me a lame hello and then disappeared to somewhere in the back of the house.

Meanwhile, his wife cooked me dinner and helped me get ready for my long hitchhiking journey from Ontario,Oregon to Vancouver, Washington.

At the last minute, the woman decided to drive me all the way to La Grande. I was thrilled. That ride would have taken me a very long way.

When the woman told her husband that she was taking me to La Grande, he told her that he didn't feel comfortable with it.

In other words, he didn't trust me.

Really.

So the woman drove me over to the ramp by the Pilot truck stop and dropped me off.

Before she drove away, she said a small prayer and acted as if everything from then on would be alright.
Then she drove away.

She left me there, went back to her house and slept in a nice, warm bed.

I didn't.

No, I sat on a guardrail all night, shivering in the cold wind and tried to get a ride. I didn't sleep at all.

This morning, I trudged up a hill, over a bridge and about a mile further down the interstate. A State cop pulled over and drove me to a rest area. I found a picnic table in the sun where I put my head down on my pack and fell asleep.

I slept for hours.

Finally, I woke up, got myself together and headed back down to the interstate.

A cheerful Black Military vet, who also happens to be a long-haul trucker, pulled his rig over and picked me up.

We are now parked near Stanfield, Oregon. Charlie is sleeping. I am typing.

I am going to go back and sleep in his truck soon.

And at this point, I pity that woman and her husband, back in Ontario. They have so little real faith in God that they didn't trust me. Thank God Charlie does.

No comments: