Sunday, September 12, 2010

On The Highway To My Birthday, Part Four

The clerk at the Western Union counter in the Safeway grocery store in Bend, Oregon declared, "I'm sorry to tell you this, Ms. Rader, but there isn't a Lisa Weber. Your last pick-up was sent by a person named Luis Ibarra."

I stood there...dirty and exhausted...on my fifty-fifth birthday...and bit my lower lip to keep from bursting into tears.

I had been betrayed.

That was the first punch that hit me first.

I asked the clerk to write down all of the information that she was looking at on her computer screen. And God bless her, she did.

Then I walked over to the nearby Starbucks kiosk and bought myself a tall iced coffee with extra chocolate. I found a counter, a stool and an outlet and fired-up my laptop. I just had to know...

And when I opened my Facebook page, I checked my friend list and Lisa Weber was gone. She had blocked me.

I closed my eyes and sadly whispered to myself again, "Happy Birthday, Ruthie."

The conclusion to this story will be included in the next post.

No comments: