Monday, December 27, 2010

Be Aware Or Go Away

I got a comment today.

The comment was polite. It was also stupid.

The comment is related to a full-of-crap story that a piece of shit reporter wrote about me last week.

The commenter explained that he had just read the above-mentioned article and wanted to pass along advice about shelters in nearby States. "Just in case", he wrote, "you plan on going back on the road anytime soon."

Say what?!

First of all, I ALREADY KNOW WHERE EVERY AVAILABLE SHELTER IS IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES AS WELL AS THOSE THAT EXIST IN THE STATE OF ALASKA.

And secondly, I don't see what's wise about hitchhiking in the Winter. I've done it before (including from Fairbanks to Anchorage, Alaska) but I'm fifty-five years old now. There's no reason for me to leave this room where I'M warm and happy.

I have my laptop, the Internet, cable TV, a comfy bed, a tub filled with bubbles, a frig full of Diet Dew and a dynamite writing project that's evolving by the day.

So, I am going to be smart and STAY HERE for awhile, not go out on the road in the freezing cold!

Third, the P.O.S. reporter wrote a story about a proposal to create a warming center for homeless people in Bozeman.

So I sent her an email and told her about my fiasco at the Bozeman rest area back in November. She sent me back an email and asked if she could include me in another story about the proposed warming center. I thought, "Why not? It couldn't hurt."

But when she began the "conversation", it became very obvious that she had another angle in mind.

And in the end, she twisted my words around, people got upset and the warming center proposal was defeated.

(Someone in the background doesn't want a warming center here in Bozeman. That's why so much changed after that media monster came to my door...if you catch my drift.)

I said quite a bit in the two hours that the reporter and I were together. Most of what I said was never included in her article. If the transcript of that conversation had been published word-for-word, things might have turned-out differently.

Yes, a guy sent me a comment today. And because he doesn't really know what's going on, his words were useless to me.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here.

The two questions to consider now are:

How long will it take for my point to sink in?

And...

What will "certain people" do when my point is made?

No comments: