Monday, December 13, 2010

Remember What You Wished For



It's officially above freezing here in Bozeman, Montana today. In fact, it's in the forties right now.

That's a heat wave for us.

I say "us" because I consider myself to be a "Bozemanite" now.

And I am getting used to the wild fluctuation in weather patterns here.

When I first came to Bozeman, I was stranded at the rest area for two days and two nights.

Fortunately, I had enough money on me to buy soda from the vending machine. The caretakers of the rest area refused to take my money and instead drove through the storm and bought me a lunch from Subway.

I never would have made it to Subway on foot. The snow was blowing and the temperature was to the "I've-only-been-out-here-for-five-minutes-and-I-can't-feel-my-face-anymore" stage.

The rest area is a hot spot (but only with regards to the Internet) and so I was able to stay online for the entire time.

A couple of friends brought me food and bought me dinner, so I never did go hungry.

But I had a clear view of the storm as it fought its way through this part of Gallatin County.

So I empathise with you folks in the blizzard-blasted Midwest right now. And I have a suggestion for you, too: When the weather makes you feel like somebody moved your home to the Polar Ice Cap, remember what you wished for when it was 95 degrees with high humidity last Summer.

And for added consolation, here is the dumbest video about polar bears that has ever been made:

No comments: