Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Crap Still Collects In PDX


Me, all bundled up, sitting on the sidewalk at night, in front of the Portland Rescue Mission, in downtown Portland, Oregon

________________

The Portland Tribune just published a story about the erosion of the quality of life in the Oldtown/Chinatown section of Portland, Oregon.

My reaction after reading the article is:

It's Too Late, Baby!

The City of Portland has ignored the growing problem around (what I refer to as) the West Burnside area for years. I spent many a night wrapped-up in blankets on those streets. Then one day I left that city and found a better living arrangement here in Montana.

I tried to make a difference. The following is from an email that I sent to Sam Adams, the Mayor of Portland, on October 15, 2009:

[My friend was beat-up by a guy at 6AM in front of the
Downtown Chapel on West Burnside. I was laying on my blankets and my
pack about three-feet away. And when I flipped open my phone to call
for help, I was informed by a drug-crazed female that I would pay if I
even tried to be a "cop-caller." A bad criminal element has grown and
developed in the West Burnside, Old Town/China Town area. I believe
that it is directly related to the fact that homeless people are
allowed to loiter and/hang-out on the streets all night. And it's not
safe to even use the loo downtown at night. That's crime just waiting
to happen.

Drug-dealing has sky-rocketed because gangs of thugs have
taken up the corners, benches and parts of the sidewalks at night in
that area. It's no joke, Sam...it's a damn disgrace. Women are raped,
runaways disappear and as I already described...people are beat up.

Many homeless people have given-up and gone on with their
various addictions. They sit on the bricks and say, "There's no point
in trying" and there they all remain. Nobody gives them a kick in the
pants or enough of a reason to get up and get away from their
situation.]

And I even attended a meeting with the Business Alliance.



But it never made any difference. And any effort that anybody makes to fix the bad problem in that area...will probably end up being a total waste of time.



So, I am sorry that the good folks who work and live in that area are getting upset once again. But I have no sympathy.

Because I believe that no one, who is aware of the situation, has the guts to remove what is rotting in the middle of that City.

No comments: