Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Distant Ring Of Spring


-Photo/Edits By Ruth Rader-

I am thinking about Spring now. Yeah, a few days of 50F, with sunshine in the blue sky and puddles on the sidewalk...have brought me around to that state of mind, again.



According to the National Weather Service, we are bracing for yet another Winter storm system in the next 18 hours.

The atmosphere moves that way around here.

A storm blows in, the temperature takes a radical nose dive, the puddles freeze back into ice and the clouds drop another half foot of snow.

But I am still in a Springtime frame of mind, anyway. And I'm going to stay that way for awhile.

It's too early for bunnies and chocolate eggs. We haven't even reached St. Patrick's Day, yet. But we will. Good ol' St. Paddy's Day: The one day where we grab anything green and drink it. Most of us do that because, by that time, we are totally sick of Winter. And green represents what we are all really yearning for: SPRING!!

I got a comment from someone named Rosie who asked me: "Are you off the road for good?"

My tracker indicates that she is from the Poughkeepsie, New York area and has become one of my regular readers.

I read her words and laughed. Her question dovetailed nicely into my mood today.

No, Rosie, I am not off the road for good. For, my dear reader, nothing good will ever come from staying in one place for the rest of my life. There will be time enough for that when my mortal existence is finished.

In the meantime, I would like to be able to wade in the waves at the edge of the Pacific Ocean again. I would like to see the tiny flowers at the top of a mountain ridge in Colorado. And I would like to see a major storm lash out, in all of its amazing fury across Tornado Alley.

I've done all of this before, of course. I've also eaten frozen yogurt on a hot day in July.

Does that mean that I shouldn't do it again?

You see my point.

No, Rosie...I don't know about you...but I intend to wrap myself around the World until the day that I fly to Heaven.

As for hitchhiking...

...will I do that, again?

Let's just see what happens in the Spring~~~*

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I remember that you had a bit of a rough start when you first found yourself in Bozeman but it seems like you have settled into the community nicely, thus I thought you had retired your hitchhiking adventures. Happy Spring!

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Hello again, Rosie. I am sorry for the gap in time before typing out this response. I was offline for a couple of days while I began my recovery after my latest round with the dentist.
See "Taking It In The Tooth."
It is snowing tonight and very cold...and, of course, Bozeman is once again under the obligatory "Winter Storm Watch."
As we move into Spring (which will happen, according to the locals, sometime in June) I will write a Springtime poem just for you. :)
I hope all is well and that you are staying warm there in the beautiful State of New York.