Friday, February 04, 2011

Greyhound Bus Hijacked

Update/Further Information
Developing Story/Video

A Greyhound bus, loaded with passengers, was hijacked tonight in North Carolina. By a miracle of God, the passengers remained unhurt and the hijacker was safely taken into custody.

But the situation could have turned out much, much differently. The hijacker could have really had a bomb. As it is, that person was obviously very dangerous.

Many people on that bus could have ended up dead.

And I have been posting for years about the lax security in many Greyhound stations and on board their buses.

It's pathetic.

The airlines utilize intense security. But neither Amtrak nor Greyhound makes a solid effort to check passengers and luggage before one of their buses pulls out of the lot.

One of these days, I think that there is going to be a major tragedy on board a Greyhound bus.

I have traveled, by Greyhound, around the Country, several times, in the past year. And I have been on buses from Vermont to Boston to Oklahoma to Wyoming to Oregon a number of times over the past five years.

And I have witnessed serious lapses in passenger protection that, at this point, Greyhound cannot possibly refute.

I know the bus routine in Cleveland, New York City, Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Chicago, Sioux Falls, Salt Lake City, Denver, etc. And I always watch my back, pay for priority seating, take as few night runs as possible and sit as close as I can to the front of the bus.

But I shouldn't have to do that.

What happened in North Carolina tonight should be considered a very serious warning.

If something isn't done to step-up security in every Greyhound terminal and on board every bus that goes out on the road, I believe that something really bad is going to happen.

It's just a matter of time.

Tonight's bus hijacking is a word to the wise.

Heed it.

No comments: