Monday, February 14, 2011

One Love?



When I opened up Google's logo today, something clicked in the back of my mind and I said to myself, "Wait a minute, I've seen a logo very similar to that before."

And then I remembered where.

Way back in 1970, the movie "Love Story" was released. Before it hit theaters (people actually went to see movies in another building back in those days) on December 16, 1970, the author published the story in novel form. The book became available on February 14, 1970.

A logo, which is very similar to the logo that Google is featuring today, was used both on the novel and on advertisements for the movie.



The film starred Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw . To this day, it is considered to be one heck of a cornball flick.

Google's logo for today was designed by Robert Indiana. It is supposed to be based on THIS logo, that Indiana designed.



However, according to Wikipedia, "The original book cover for Erich Segal's novel Love Story alluded to (Robert Indiana's) design."

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, what is the significance of a slightly-altered love logo?

I don't have the answer to that question.

But I do know this:
Forty years later, love, in all of its wonderful variations, is still in the air.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

Sincerely,
Ruthie In The Sky

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Are you off the road for good?

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Rosie... I have answered your question in the next post: "The Distant Ring Of Spring."