Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Coward Hits-And-Runs



Hit-And-Run Update

One of the most serious examples of cowardice is a hit-and-run driver.

And as some of you are already aware of, I watched my friend, Tom, get hit and fatally injured by a drunk driver. I was nineteen-years-old. And to add insult to my friend's subsequent death, the driver took the whole situation to court.

I met that disgraceful jerk there. I had to go but I would have gone, regardless.

To this day, I remember my much-younger self, standing on that street, at night, in the cold pouring rain...

...I walked over and knelt down by my friend...

...and I looked into his eyes...

...and felt so helpless, knowing that there was nothing that I could do for Tom...except to stay by him until the ambulance and the cops came...

...at 4:30 the next morning, the cops came to my residence and told me that Tom was dead.

I had given a written statement to the police right after the ambulance took Tom away. Soon after, I went to court.

The drunk driver got the legal book thrown at him. But that didn't bring my friend, Tom, back.

Yesterday, before I knew that this recent hit-and-run had happened, I got a hit on my blog from Molalla, Oregon. I remember thinking that Molalla (which I had never heard of, before I perused my blog tracker, yesterday) is a really funny name.

But this present situation is disgraceful.

I sincerely hope that THIS Tom, the man on the bike, recovers and returns to his family, friends and to his good life.

And I also hope that the driver turns himself or herself in to the police. Because driving away after hitting that man is just too much cowardice to leave on anyone's conscience.

No comments: