Friday, April 08, 2011

I DID THIS!



The video that I'm featuring here is a studio take that was recorded during the production of the song, "Beautiful Boy." And the great thing about this fantastic offering, from mamadurs, on YouTube, is that it takes us up-close-and-personal with the late John Lennon.

Why am I including this video with this post?

Because I can.

And before you think I am giving you a smart ass answer, allow me to explain what I mean by that.

I have just recently returned to YouTube. I have no videos of my own and I've never paid much attention to the Tube. Now I am.

And in doing so, I have come across a creeping, growing cancer: Copyright.

Some vocalists and bands perform without limits across the video network. And some people are suddenly finding their homemade videos missing the accompanying audio. That is because the "copyright cops" are yanking the sound right out of those videos.

:P THBZZzzzt!!

It's amazing to me how the band, Eagles, seems to have decided that their song, "The Last Resort", will never have a permanent place on YouTube. Every time that someone posts it, the audio gets pulled.

And that practice is not limited to Eagles or to that particular song. I am disgusted with the obvious greed that is behind that action.

I mean...really.

The music that I am referring to is not tied to new singers or musicians who are just getting their footing in the industry. Nope. The music is linked to the veterans who have been around and raked in money from these songs for years.

While the veteran performers are aging, a whole new generation is coming up and they want to hear the older music, too. What is familiar to many of us in the older generation is brand new to the kids. I read young people's comments about classic rock songs, on YouTube, all of the time now.

Many of the young listeners are in a constant stage of discovery and most of them post the same thing: They prefer the older tunes to the majority of the new stuff.

I'm serious. Since I have returned to YouTube, I have begun to see a pattern there.

Charlie Sheen, who is in New York City right now, is trying to put his personal stamp of ownership on words like "duh, winning!" "tigerblood" and "Adonis DNA."

*Shaking My Head*

Listen, Sheen, I don't care if "Tony The T-Shirt Tiger" told you to do it (it was probably Joey Scolari) I refuse to pay you a dime.

So what are you going to do about it...erase the words from my blog?

I found out that those phrases that you've been tossing around were given to YOU by people after you went off the rails on the Crazy Train. Yeah, they were words of encouragement, provided by people, when you were beginning your metamorphosis. You don't own those words, Charlie. You grabbed them from someone else and repeated them like a parrot reciting a mantra.

Would you like me to go into the specific details?

Nah, I didn't think so.

Some original performer YOU are. NOT!

So you picked-up the product ball and ran with it. Okay, fine. Everybody knows that those phrases are linked to you and everybody knows why. I'm not going to use those words to make any money for myself (hell, I wouldn't want to!) but I will call an adhesive bandage a Band Aid, a search on the Internet a Google and a wacko phrase a Sheenism.

Make me stop. I dare you.

Do I sound cranky? I am.

I mean, this whole copyright thing is getting totally out of hand!

The other night, I watched a popular reality show on TV, and at one point the group sang the song, "Happy Birthday" to a friend. But!! because the song that they sang was filmed and the audio was recorded, this is what I got to see and hear: The song was replaced by a long "beeeep" tone and a strip ran across my TV screen that declared: "Because of the high price attached to the rights of broadcasting this song, you will, unfortunately, not be able to hear the audio portion of this segment."

I dropped the remote.

So someone actually thinks that they own the exclusive rights to the song, "Happy Birthday"?!

Balderdash.
__________

Post: "I DID THIS!", from the blog: "Ruthie In The Sky". Posted on April 9, 2011 By Ruth Rader. Copyright PoorHouse Productions And Ruth Rader. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: