Monday, May 16, 2011

Craig Newcomer: Who Are You?



THE STORY?

AND WHAT ABOUT THIS?

OR IS THIS THE STORY?

This is very difficult for me to understand, at this point. And to assume that I am upset about it, would be an understatement.

I'm way beyond that, right now.

I don't understand this at all.

But here I am...at this pivotal time in Craig Newcomer's life...trying to see a shred of the man that I met, two years ago.

And I keep thinking about a possibility...something that I won't go into right now...that might explain everything that's happened. If I'm right, it still doesn't excuse Craig's actions. Nothing will.

Somebody is lying and someone else is telling the truth.

Nevertheless, the man that I met, two years ago, would never have gone to a bar or a strip club or spent time with wild motorcyclists. Or so I thought.

He never would have gone looking for a fight with anyone. He never would have wondered, with amusement, if he had killed another human being.

Craig was my knight in shining armor when I arrived, cold and tired, at his shelter's doorstep, one night. He looked out for me and made sure that I was safe, warm, fed and filled with agape Christian love. He never wavered in his support of my endeavors and when we parted...he made sure that I left on a bus bound for what we both hoped would be a better place.

He was like a brother to me and now...I don't know if I really even know him, anymore.

Craig Newcomer is the man that runs the shelter that I am now sitting in...where I am typing this out on my laptop...in the middle of the night.

I will probably see him in the morning...the man who offered me shelter, again...who has invited me to stay here for the Summer...and tried, yesterday morning...to explain what happened.

But Craig didn't tell me everything. I read the rest in the news articles. Now I'm having a tough time equating the person that I knew with the Craig that hit another guy so hard that the man suffered brain damage.

When Craig walked in the door yesterday morning, he hugged me. He was almost like my brother again...smiling...encouraging...full of faith...but he looked different. More to the point, he felt different, too. Something was wrong with his vibes.

Craig was the one who took us all down, on one snowy Winter day, to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. His sensitivity was obvious. On that day, he was all about saving humanity...and not hurting anybody.

That was two years ago.

Now, instead of going on a field trip, Craig is going to go to court...on the heels of a foolish altercation...that could have been avoided...and never should have happened...

...and the man that I considered my friend is far, far away...from that eternal flame of peace...that he took me to see...during a heavy snow storm...in Washington DC.

No comments: