Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Seven

I walked off the bus and into a humid cloud of pure heat in Emporia, Virginia. I had no idea what to do, so I did what I do best...winged it.

My first stop was a convenience store where the clerk acted like he didn't understand half of what I said. Then I walked into the dark, cool lobby of a big Best Western hotel.

A desk clerk let me use her phone to call the local cops. An officer came by and told me to call him again at six pm. It was 3:30pm.

"What do you want me to do until then?" I asked him.

He just shrugged and then got back into his cruiser and drove away.

I had enough to get a cab to the library, which was several miles away and so I took one there.

When I arrived, I spoke to the librarian and she immediately started making calls on her phone.

At five-thirty, another cop arrived and drove me to an old, but comfortable, motel on the side of the road.

I walked across the street, bought some food with my benefit card and went back into the air-conditioned motel room with my dinner.

I discovered that my aging laptop was seriously damaged but I was too tired to think about it, much less use the motel's wi-fi. Instead, I took a long bath and then went to bed.

The next day, I used up every bit of that recharged energy...but I never got very far.

No comments: