Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Ten

Flashes of Stephen King's story, "Misery" shot through my mind.

What was next, hobbling?

I stood there, in my nightgown, and almost hit the speed dial button for "911" on my cell phone with my thumb...

...when she suddenly realized that my enhanced 911 signal would move faster than she could...with the door open or closed...locked or unlocked...

...and whatever she had a notion to do, five minutes ago, wasn't going to happen now...

...She had tried to lock me in...with no warning, whatsoever...

...and I was pissed. And anybody who knows me is well aware of the fact that I am not cool when I'm in that frame of mind...

My eyes, I've been told...do something incredible when I'm really angry...I've been informed that they're like lasers that people can actually feel.

It doesn't happen very often...but woe be to anyone within my sight when it does...

...when she knew that I would leave that house before I would allow her to do such a thing to me...

...she relented.

Then her husband came home. I met him, we talked and then they went to bed. And the door to the room that I slept in remained open all night.

In the morning, I stopped at a grocery store to get more provisions, and then Ms. "Lock'em Up" and her husband dropped me off at an on ramp. It wasn't the same on ramp where I never got a ride...it was about twenty-miles north from there.

I will never forget what that woman tried to do. But something tells me that she will never forget me, either.

1 comment:

Ruthie In The Sky said...

That woman is on my radar screen for the rest of her life.