Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Five

"So" I asked, gazing at the run-down, shadowed neighborhood around me, "I either walk off into that darkness with my big back pack, in the middle of the night, in an unfamiliar area, in a questionable zone or go to jail?"

"Yes." replied the bigger cop, shooting me a look of disgusted impatience.

"Well, gee I'm sorry officers, but..." I said before the bald cop interrupted me.

"Oh, that's okay, we don't take it personally. You just walk away and everything will be alright." He continued.

"No, it won't" I said and stood up.

"You don't understand what I mean" I said.

The cop's eyes narrowed.

"I mean" I said, holding my arms out toward him, with my hands laced together, "I mean that I want to be safe tonight. So take me to jail."

The cop flashed a look of genuine surprise for a second and then asked me, "Seriously?"

"Yes" I answered.

"Okay, turn around" he directed.

And the next thing that I felt was the snap of handcuffs on my wrists.

No comments: