Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Four

The young couple drove me into Mt. Carmel, Illinois. Then they gave me ten-dollars and waved goodbye.

I walked up to a Mickey D's and stopped for lunch.

What I didn't realize was the fact that I was at one end of that community and I had to walk clear over to the other end.

I did that and finally stopped by a bridge near the edge of town and looked up at the sky. Storm clouds were beginning to gather.

I tried and tried to get a ride...and didn't.

Then with a neon flash of light and a heavy clap of thunder, the heavens opened up and I was soon soaked with rain.

During all of this, vehicles continued to pass by me until one small car finally stopped. I groped for the door handle through the heavy curtain of rain, opened the door and looked into a kind old man's eyes.

"Throw that bag in the back seat and get yourself in the front here!" he cheerfully shouted above the din of the storm.

I followed his directions and as I dripped all over the passenger seat, the driver said, "I'm Gerald and I'm 76 years old. Where are you headed tonight, dear lady?"

No comments: