Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Three

I gave the cop a disgusted look and asked him "Well, what do you want me to do, then?"

The cop put me in the back of his car, drove me about eight miles ahead and dropped me off at a truck stop.

I said a few choice words into the air and walked back onto the shoulder of the highway...but without my thumb out.

After about five minutes of walking, a young woman, with a cute baby strapped into a car seat in the back, stopped and picked me up.

She took me to the little community of Princeton, Indiana where we contacted a local church and the Salvation Army and struck out. So the girl took me over to the Princeton cops. The girl gave me five-dollars and cut me loose. The Princeton cops drove me over to a Day's Inn where they got me a room for the night.

I ate vending machine fare because I was too tired and sore to walk anywhere and then summarily fell asleep in the bathtub.

The next day I was almost out of Princeton and dragging my feet when a young couple stopped their pickup truck and asked me if I needed a ride.

No comments: