Friday, August 26, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

As Hurricane Irene gets ready to punch the East Coast in the nose, I am happy to say that I am in a much better weather pattern here in Northeastern Nebraska.

I ended up about fifteen miles outside of Lincoln City, Nebraska the other night. I had eaten, washed my clothes, and showered before I left a little local truck stop.

I walked down a road and finally settled on a guard rail that was situated near the Interstate.

I tried to get a ride but nobody stopped.

The heat index that day had been 104F. So I was delighted to see the sun set.

But as soon as the sun went down and the moon came up, the Monster Mosquitoes of Nebraska came out in full force!!!

The Monster Mosquitoes are BIG, bad, vicious and relentless. They are also totally immune to DEET. I slathered myself with the insecticide and wrapped-up in a big blanket.

But the mosquitoes, that I am convinced were spawned from sadistic, alien beings...laughed at my efforts and found ways to bite me, anyway. By 2:30 AM, I was in agony and my skin itched and burned in about twenty different places.

I gave up, got up and walked back to the truck stop. I paid another seven-dollars, took another shower and did my best to soothe my ravaged skin. Then I bought a diet Dew and a bag of taco-flavored Combos. I always do that if I can whenever I need some real consolation.

The guy a the counter let me go upstairs into the trucker lounge until daylight.

I will NEVER stay outside during the Summer in Nebraska, again! I have learned my lesson.

Just in case you are wondering, the Nebraska Monster Mosquitoes even bit my left eyelid and other parts of my face!

I am now using hydro cortisone cream and Benadryl to calm the affects of those horrible insects.

No comments: