Monday, August 22, 2011

What I've Learned On My Summer Vacation

I am so incredibly tired today. But then, I have been traveling very hard, lately.

By that I mean, I have covered an amazing amount of miles in a very short period of time.

Hitchhiking, especially in the latter part of the Summer, is difficult enough...but I have been running pretty much day in and night out.

I have been blessed with motel rooms, Chinese food, road snacks, prayers, rides and money. This has helped me get through Southern Ohio, across the entire Northern tier of Kentucky, one-fourth of Indiana (North and then West), Central Illinois and the entire stretch across Northern Missouri.

I have hugged hound dog puppies and washed my clothes at an out-of-the-way, exclusive "House In The Hills" shelter in rural Missouri . I have camped in parks and showered more than once at an old truck stop. I have been disappointed and disgusted by agencies that have no excuse. I have also been encouraged and delighted by people who have pulled over to the side of the road and picked me up.

I have survived (so far) a very tough ordeal. My skin is burnt brown and my legs are covered with hits from voracious mosquitoes. The sun has beat down on me with such intensity that it has made me feel like a moth beneath a flame.

Poor people have shared what they have while the rich have all but ignored me.

And with the exception of the bus ride from Lexington, Kentucky to Elizabethtown, Kentucky...I have hitchhiked the entire way from Wilmington, Ohio to where I am today...St. Joseph, Missouri.

I have sat on my pack, in the grass, off the shoulder of the highway and played with grasshoppers while waiting for another ride to come by. I have sat in police waiting rooms and wondered what I was actually going to get out of it.

One cop and I discussed the State of the Nation when he gave me a long courtesy ride one night. One shelter made me so mad that I threw down the pages of unfinished paperwork, picked up my pack, walked out of the building, slammed the door and never looked back.

Soon I will be heading back out onto the road. Kyron Richard Horman is still missing but he remains in my heart. I say a prayer for him every night...from wherever I am.

Please say a prayer for me and I will say a prayer for you.

Despite what is happening in Washington D.C. and around the world, know THIS: The United States of America is still a Land of Miracles and God still loves His children.

No comments: