Monday, September 12, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I am exhausted.

What should have been a rest stop has turned into a tiresome and almost bleary-eyed ordeal.

I am in Fort Morgan, Colorado tonight. I will board a bus and head for Utah tomorrow evening.

Along the way to Fort Morgan, I passed through the small city of Sterling, Colorado.

I like it there. A branch of my bank is there, along with another building that is filled with very cooperative librarians.

I had planned to just hitchhike on through Sterling and head for Greeley. But it was late in the day and a lady (who lives SOMEWHERE in Fort Morgan) stopped and picked me up.

She had on a beautiful necklace and a friendly smile.

She asked me where I was headed and why.

I told her and she asked me to get in her car. Then she drove me all the way back to the library. When we got there, she started makings calls on her cell phone.

It turns out that the woman, whose name is Deb, lives here and works in Sterling.

And she knows a lot of people.

When all was said and done, Deb had wrangled me a room at a "Bates" type motel and ten-dollars worth of food at a local grocery store. Not bad for about twenty-minutes worth of networking.

(This update will continue tomorrow)

No comments: