Friday, November 25, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Six

I tried to hitchhike out of Hastings, Nebraska and the first time...I failed. The second time, I got out.

But after the first attempt, I met a man who owns a motel in Hastings and he let me stay in it for three nights for free. I was tired and the weather went bad so the man just gave me a key, twenty bucks in cash for food and told me to go get some rest. And I did.

I am planning on returning to that motel, later next month and I'm going to stay there for the Winter.

When I left the motel, four days later, I hitchhiked out to Sutton, Nebraska. By the time that I reached Sutton, it was getting dark and I was getting cold. So a cop and a padre got me a dinner from Subway and a room at the local motel.

The following day I headed back out on the road, again. It was a very slow day, ride-wise and I finally ended up standing outside of the town of Cortland, Nebraska at 4:30 in the evening. Four-thirty changed to six-thirty and the temperature-reading on a neary business sign, dropped from 39F to 32F.

I was about ready to throw in the towel and walk down the street to a nearby gas station, when a family in a minivan stopped and picked me up. They live southeast of Beatrice in the small town city of Fairbury, Nebraska.

No comments: