Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I am now in Minnesota.

And for those of you who thought that I was still meandering through Nebraska, I suppose that you are surprised.

I made it to Iowa with a trucker, who went by once, then turned his tractor-trailer around and came after me. We had quite a discussion about what really matters in life. When he stopped and dropped me off, he handed me a twenty-dollar bill and said, "Merry Christmas."

I slipped that twenty in with the twenty-seven dollars that I already had. Then a man came by in a minivan and told me that he is a farmer. A little bit later, I met the farmer's daughter and they took me to a motel.

The farmer gave me a ten-dollar bill. I took it and the rest of the cash that I had and went in to the motel.

I bought a room for one night.

The next morning, I met a woman named Barb who made sure that I had food, clean clothes and another night in the same motel. She also took me to Walmart and bought me a new winter jacket.

I began to get sick, yesterday afternoon (which explains why I wasn't online, yesterday). I got very tired, my joints ached, my gut ached and I got a nasty bout of diarrhea. THIS morning, I began wheezing...

...but the show had to go on, and so did I.

So I took a taxi out to the highway and put my thumb out into the cold wind. The rides were few and far-between and it took all day...to travel sixty-five miles.

No comments: