Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

First, I would like to send a shout-out to LOGIS: Lat/Long: 44.9487, -93.1002.

You only spent seven-minutes on my blog?

That's hardly enough time, Sir. I hope that you examine it more in-depth when you get the time.
_________________

The Huffington Post posted an article that I believe is spot-on: "Top Ten Ways Homelessness May Increase In 2012".

It doesn't surprise me.

Right now, as I am traveling through Minnesota, I am experiencing a mindset that is, for the most part, reprehensible.

And I see no further point in remaining in this State.

I walked out of the motel in Fairmont, Minnesota yesterday and directly into a knife-sharp, cold wind.

A male nurse, on his way home from a long, night shift, pulled his car over to the shoulder and picked me up. We chatted all the way to Mankato, Minnesota where he dropped me off at a Salvation Army center.

I walked in and asked for help but I never got it.

So, after everything was said and nothing was done, I trudged up the hill toward the highway.

A young man drove by me, then turned back around and picked me up. That ride was followed by another that brought me to a small town. A local police officer there decided to give me a ride to the next town. When we got there, a deputy drove me further northeast and out of the County.

He dropped me off at a convenience store and then drove away.

I realized that no one would see me even if I did decide to hitchhike beside an unlit Interstate ramp. So I walked in to the store and asked the lady working there to please call the police.

It was cold and dark and I knew that I had to stop for the night.

A local officer came and did his usual cop questions: Who are you? Why did you leave Oregon? Why are you hitchhiking? What are you doing in Minnesota? How come you don't have any money? And my favorite: Are you supposed to be taking any medication?

I just mentally rolled my eyes.

I am in a motel room now and I will be leaving in the morning, again.

I caught something in LeMars, Iowa and I can't seem to shake it. I know that I am sick. I have a cold that is causing me to have problems with asthma now. I cough a great deal at night. If I do sleep, I wake up with my lungs sounding like air whistling through a paper bag.

And I have no medical insurance.

I am going to go, at the suggestion of the officer here, to the local Salvation Army office. I truly believe that it will be a total waste of time. Right now I like that organization almost as much as I like Minnesota...which isn't very much.

And as I consider what probably won't happen tomorrow, at the Salvation Army office, I remember what happened at the SA in Mankato: The woman there called the local shelter to see if they had room for me. But I could tell that she was more concerned about the local people in her waiting room than she was about me.

She said to the person on the other end of the line: "Well, she ( referring to me ) is dressed well and really doesn't look like a street person."

Now I wonder...what did my outward appearance have to do with my value as a child of God?

Yeah, Merry Christmas, Minnesota.

Dress the problem any old way that you want to.

I'm still the one that's going to have to wear the problem.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Hi Ruthie, I thoroughly enjoy your blog and check it almost daily. I'm sorry for the poor treatment you received. I can empathize with you on people being judgemental. I lost my job about 8 years ago. I went from making six figures to nothing. I went to a church and asked for assistance, when I arrived, they looked me up and down and said, "are you here for ministry or services"...I had to explain despite my clothes and car that I would soon lose, I was not richer than the guy with the cardboard sign... I wish you a Merry Christmas and safe warm travels. God Bless Ya Ruthie! Keep Blogging ;)

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Thank you, Jenni. I will most likely have an interesting update to add here by the end of today. I am sorry that happened to you. Hugs to you and I hope that you are doing better, now. I will try my best to do the same. Merry Christmas, Jenni and may God bless you, too.