Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I had no idea what I would do or where I would go, last night. But I was sure of one thing: I wasn't going back to that Salvation Army shelter.

So, I walked up and down a dimly-lit, residential street and finally found a "Jehovah's Witness" church building, with several lights on and a car parked in the driveway. I decided to see if anyone there would help me.

In the end, they only handed me some kind of Bible-facsimile and I refused to take it. I stood there, in front of that large, modern, brick-and-glass structure and told them that something was missing in their book.

"When someone asks for bread, you don't give that person a stone" I said.

Then I turned around and walked back into the cold, dark night.

Dogs barked and growled at me, from anonymous houses, as I made my way to a nearby road. I walked underneath a light pole and stopped. Then I put out my thumb.

After a few minutes, a couple in a nice, big SUV, stopped and picked me up. They drove me to the end of the town, handed me a twenty-dollar bill like it was small change and then let me out.

I walked across the road and eventually got picked-up by a young man in a zippy little car. He decided to bring me to the town that I am in, right now.

He called and found the shelter where I could stay, last night.

It's located in an old church building.

But it is run by volunteers, most of whom have day jobs, and so it isn't open during the day. And that is going to make it difficult to stay warm, during the day. Everything in this town is closing up for the Christmas holiday, tonight.

I will stay at the shelter, tonight but I am pretty sure that I will be back on the road, again, tomorrow.

It's cold and I'm tired...sick and tired.

But truly, with the exception of the cops, there will be no one with more courage and determination on the road, tomorrow...than me.

No comments: