CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ruthie On The Road, Update

12/13/11: STATESMAN JOURNAL: OREGON HAS HIGHEST PORTION OF HOMELESS CHILDREN

12/21/11: OPB NEWS: HOMELESS SLEEPING IN PORTLAND, OREGON PARKING LOTS

"The number of homeless families in the Portland area has increased about 35 percent over last few years."--12/21/11: OPB NEWS.
_________________

There is a song called "Where To Now, St. Peter?", that I have featured, via a Rdio widget, on this blog, before. The song was recorded by the singer, Elton John.

I am beginning to identify with it.

And I want to make it totally clear that I am not disillusioned with my aspirations...I am disappointed with those who could have done more...and never did.

The young man who brought me down here, last night, said, "I think that you deserve a little kindness."

But you see, he wasn't standing in a big, house of religion when he told me that. He wasn't sitting behind a desk, representing a Nationally-known organization when he spoke those words to me. And he wasn't holding the keys to a warm, safe bed in a homeless shelter when he shared that observation with me.

And that is what this is all about.

I have watched Christmas unfold, this year, like a hot house flower...separated from me by a wall of glass. I have stood in the cold and watched the holiday bloom...inside a warm, beautiful environment.

I have gazed at the glow of lights in a stranger's yard. And I have sat down beside a dozen Christmas trees, all adorned with ornaments that I never placed on a branch. I have listened to song after song...each of them bound to the next carol...and have realized that they represent a celebration...that for me...will probably be merely virtual.

I don't want a wrapped gift. If I had an arm full of packages, it would be worthless if I was standing out in the cold with nowhere to go. I don't want to go to a party, I just want to write a beautiful story from the comfort of a cozy, warm bed.

I am disappointed with the so-called "Christians" who have traded their stacks of Bibles for a country-club pack of lies.

To me, Christmas may exist in the sound of a cold wind, that will wrap around me as my boots crunch down a dark, rural highway.

It is a waste. Beyond everything else...as long as the barriers remain...that is all that it will ever be.
_________________

MY CHRISTMAS WISH 2011

No comments: