Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sister Ruthie's New Year Sermon

As this year draws to a close and the next next one fidgets impatiently in the wings, I am once again counting my blessings. Yes, y'all, it is time, once again, for Sister Ruthie's New Year Sermon.



And I'm sober, so I can write it.

Yeah, I'm sick but I'll get better. And no, I still haven't found a permanent home or for that matter, a place to spend the Winter, yet. But I'm still here...listening to my online music, drinking a cocktail of Glaceau vitamin water and Diet Mountain Dew. And I am banging away on this laptop and posting another of over 1,500 posts in this now seven-year-old blog.

I have good-hearted (and somewhat crazy) friends on Facebook and some who email me sweet photos like this one:



I know that there are families that are split apart. I know that there are couples facing a divorce. I know that some folks are going to sit with a sick child in a hospital, tonight. And I know that others will bury a loved one soon. I know that a wife will work a third-shift job, tonight...while her husband, in his uniform, will once again put his life on the line... defending his community, his county, his State or this Country.

People, behind the scenes, will fly airliners, drive trucks down a highway or guide a freight train down a dark track into the night. They will keep our lights on, water clean and all-night gas stations, open. They will transport the sick, mop floors, and pour coffee. And they will continue to represent the constant miracle known as the Backbone Of America.

I count myself fortunate to live in this Country. I know that it has a great many problems, right now. We have children going missing. Parents killing their own children. And predators of every stripe, searching for more victims. We have elected officials, falling apart in the awful acid of their own corruption. And we still have to dodge the bullets shot by "wild-eyed pistol wavers who ain't afraid to die" (lyric from the song, "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" and recorded by Eagles).

But I also know that we still have...HOPE that life will grant us all more blessings...FAITH in the future to be more miraculous than the past...and LOVE that will bind us all together and eventually take us home to God.

Yesterday, a father posted a video to his daughter. The story is that she just took off. She apparently is old enough to do so. What is true and what is fiction about this particular situation remains to be revealed. But I hope that both daughter and dad take some time tonight to consider what is really important.



The secret of life is just too precious to keep to one's self.



Happy New Year, everybody.

2 comments:

Bianca Castafiore? said...

In just an hour or so, the usual celebratory small arms fire will break out in my neighborhood. What a tradition: falling bullets to usher in the new year!

No wonder I hang out at the fictive Marlinspike Hall, so long as the bus keeps stopping here...

I've subscribed to your beautiful blog via Google Reader, and look forward to your posts in 2012.

Get well, stay well, and keep preaching.

All the best,
Bianca Castafiore, Profderien, Fred, and the Felines

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Je vous remercie. Je suis honoré que vous aimez mon blog. Vous êtes incroyable. Ce sera amusant vous raconter l'Iowa. Il fera l'objet de cette semaine. Pour une introduction, je vous suggère de mettre la main sur un enregistrement de "Up contre la mère de plouc mur", par Jerry Jeff Walker. :)