Thursday, January 05, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Now it's my gut that's giving me trouble: Stomach cramps and diarrhea. Wooo.

Geez.

I went back on the road two days ago. The first motel that I ended up staying at is as seedy as a corn field in the Spring. I should have taken pictures. But actually, it was enough just to close my eyes and sleep there...such as it was.

It only cost me thirty-five dollars and the surrounding area was quiet, all night long.

Iowa is experiencing a sort of January heat-wave right now . And after getting two good rides yesterday, I ended up sitting on the side of a hill for hours. The good thing about it was the fact that the day turned very warm (up to 64F where I was sitting) and the sun felt good on my face. The bad thing was the fact that nobody picked me up.

I watched grain-haulers roar by, while farmers on tractors rolled down the road at a much slower speed. At the end of the traffic parade, were the Amish folks in their buggies...led by horses that almost seemed to have more get-up-and-go than the tractors did.

People waved at me, stuck their thumbs out, smiled and laughed. It was a beautiful day and nobody at that junction point seemed concerned about whether or not I got a ride.

After five hours, I finally gave up, got up and started walking down the shoulder of the highway. The sun was low in the sky and I knew that it would be dark, soon. That fact was going to create a whole new set of problems for me.

Fortunately, a man, who is originally from Missouri and is a transplant to the South Central Iowa area, stopped his rig and picked me up. He drove me all the way to where I am now. And along the way, he told me (in no uncertain terms) why he hates the people in this area. He pronounced the local people: "cold-hearted jerks."

Whoa. Yes, he did.

And he isn't the only one that offered me that reaction.

I don't know what to make of it.

Right now, I am in "The Dungeon."

That is the name that the folks at this place, gave to this particular room, because it doesn't have any windows.

The Dungeon:







Nice place, eh?

So are the people here.

But some people say, that the folks in this part of Iowa, aren't cool. Go figure.

I just think that this State has a lot of germs floating around.

No comments: