Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update



I am back at the Addam's Family house, where I plan to stay until Wednesday, when I will move into a place in town.

Right now, I am drinking a long-neck beer and enjoying the fact that I am not out on the road. If someone asks me if I want to go out somewhere, I am going to remain seated. I got enough fresh air, yesterday and I don't want to go ANYWHERE, today!

The sun is shining through the stained glass and the older girls are discussing today's extra-curricular school activity. I will sleep in this huge, old house tonight...safe and warm and with one of the resident kittens.

This is my break time. I am grateful for it.

Yesterday, I was appalled by the behavior and the lack of intervention by the locals in a particular section of The Sunflower State. I sat for hours, at a lonely highway junction point, and watched the traffic go by. People in their vehicles stared at me, glared at me or thought "beware" of me...but nobody stopped their rig and picked me up.

Even a lone State Trooper drove by and ignored me.

I sat on my pack, pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and shivered.

Finally, a young woman stopped and got out of her banged-up SUV. She came right over to me and put out her hand.

"Do you need some help getting up?" she asked. I smiled and held my own hand out to her.

"Yes" I replied and a climbed into her vehicle a minute later.

She gave me a bag with two bananas and a clump of white grapes in it, before she dropped me off by a long bridge.

Five minutes later, a guy in oil-stained overalls, stopped his car and picked me up. He told me that he had some errands to run and showed me the list.

When he finished his business, he bought me a meal at Burger King and then drove me another fifty-miles to the Addams Family's front door.

I am going to go and clean the main bathroom as soon as I finish drinking my second beer. I work well that way.

Have a great evening, everybody...burp, wink, smile.

You too...over there in England. You know who you are.

But guess what?

So do I.

No comments: