Saturday, February 04, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

A major storm roared across Eastern Nebraska, today. And I had to get to my bank. What happened next, is detailed in this email to Cortland, Nebraska:

ACCUWEATHER SNOW TOTALS

LINCOLN, NEBRASKA JOURNAL-STAR STORM UPDATE

[ To The Community Of Cortland:

I am sending this to you because I want you to know what happened to
me in your community, today.

It was both bad and good.

But it is the level of distrust, permeating the entire experience,
that I want to focus on in this email.

I don't assume for one second that you or anyone else in Cortland is
really going to give a darn about what I
write here. But I'm going to send this email, anyway. And a copy of it
will be put in my blog, because it will give
my readers something to think about.

I am looking forward to reading their reactions to this email to you.

I had to hitchhike to Lincoln, today. But when I started, in Beatrice,
a city police officer intervened. He contacted a deputy
from Gage County. The deputy came and decided to drive me as far as he
could. I'm sure that he meant well because despite
the weather, it was crucial that I got to the bank, today.

On the way to Cortland, he had to stop and pull a woman's car out of a
snowbank. I was well-aware of what I was
facing.

He dropped me off at the Sinclair gas station in Cortland and then
left. The woman standing behind the counter didn't smile
when I walked in the station store. And there wasn't a shred of
kindness in her eyes.

I was under the gun to get to my bank in Lincoln. I had two-dollars in
my purse. Hundreds of dollars were waiting
for me at my bank. I was standing in a gas station, in the middle of a
snow storm and that woman could have be-
haved in a totally different way. But she didn't.

And what she did next is something that she should be ashamed of: She
told me that I couldn't use the phone to
call the Lancaster County Sheriff. She wouldn't let me call anybody.
She just blew me off in as rude a manner as
I've never seen in years. Then, she glared at me and told me that I
could use the phone outside. I told her that I
didn't think that I had enough money to make a call out and she said
that she didn't care.

It gets worse.

I walked out of the station store, intending to find another business
where someone might be more helpful (since
she obviously wanted me to leave) and noticed some folks pumping gas.
I started to ask them if they were going
to Lincoln, and the woman came storming out of the store and yelled,
"You can't ask the customers for a ride!"

There I was, standing in the blowing snow, in an unfamiliar place,
with a pack on my back and a cane in my hand,
and I heard those words come out of her mouth.

I couldn't believe it.

It's obvious that woman is an ugly human being. There is no other
description for her.

It was about 12pm by this time and the storm was in full-swing. I
walked out to the road and struggled up the road
(backing into the snowbank when traffic went by), covering my face
against the freezing cold, and looked around
for a place to go.

I finally saw a fire/rescue truck from another community and flagged
it down. The men bundled me into their truck
and drove me over to the Cortland Volunteer Fire Station.

I talked to the people there and did my best to convince them that I
was really going to my bank to get some money.

In the end, I took a cab the rest of the way into Lincoln. And I paid
an $85 fare.

I got the impression, while I was in Cortland, that nobody trusted me
or really cared what happened to me. To them,
I was either someone to be hated or dealt with like an inconvenient nuisance.

Thank God (literally) that your community is unique. Cortland,
Nebraska now has the dubious distinction of being the
most mean-spirited town that I've ever visited. And I bet that I am
not the only person who feels that way. ]

2 comments:

Linda said...

I guess at times like that, you just have to believe in karma, eh? Glad you made it, despite Cortland.

Ruthie In The Sky said...

Thank you, Linda.

I do believe that the woman that I spoke with, today, knows what she is talking about.

I told her what happened to me and she just shook her head and shared some less-than-complimentary words about Cortland with me. She is a local and knows all about that community. She doesn't live there but she sure shared some "words of experience" with me, today.