Saturday, March 03, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

I had a conversation with a friend of mine, tonight. A long-distance call from a man who isn't entirely happy.

I believe that he deserves better at this point in his life.

And I sincerely hope that he gets it.

Meanwhile, I have been more on the road than off of it.

I hitchhiked through some wild winter weather between Spokane and Pomeroy, Washington. But I was fortunate to find my way into motels every night.


-ME AND ROSE, WHO PICKED ME UP, DURING A SNOWSTORM, OUTSIDE OF POMEROY, WASHINGTON-
-NOTE MY RED FACE (FROM THE COLD) AND MY SLEEPY EYES-
-PHOTO TAKEN FEBRUARY 2012-

And I hitchhiked as far as small-city Oregon and then I took a break. I drank coffee, hung-out with the homies, ate fruit and vegetables and relaxed. I met some remarkable people there. You know who you are. Thank you.

I took a bus away from there after I made a deal with someone. Now I am headed back to Kansas. But not on the bus.

What?!

I mean, I rode on the Greyhound bus to far Eastern Utah and then I got off. I can't manage a long bus ride. It just takes too much out of me.

So, I will hitchhike out of Utah (hopefully) tomorrow and into Colorado. I will go through Colorado, head north and then I'll hitchhike straight across Kansas.

My friend wants to get out on the road, too...but he wants to do it in a more conventional way. He's even toying with the idea of buying a sailboat.

I'm content with the journeys that I've taken. I hope that he gets the chance to enjoy a journey, too. Soon.
______________

You want to smoke your cigars
Underneath the stars
stroke your dogs behind their ears...

You want to get away
From what people do and say
Forget their hate and tears...

Maybe drink a few beers

And let that peaceful breeze blow
Around you like a song
Where you can take life slow
Where there's really nothing wrong...

And you can take life easy
And just gently be strong

Create some happy years

You want to drive your truck
You want to sail away
You want to roll out on your Harley
And let your smile greet the day...

Get away from the gray
Go out and play

So what is making you stay?

No comments: