CLICK ON IMAGE AND GO TO CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY AND FIRE PROTECTION ON TWITTER

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

“The Internet is the power to…”

Vint Cerf, the so-called "Chief Internet Evangelist" at Google, sent me an email and asked me to "start something."

 He wants me to complete the sentence "The Internet is the power to..."

This is my response to his email:

I started something back in 1993. That year, a ten-year-old kid first showed me how to get around on the Internet.

His mother worked and he spent many afternoons, hanging out at the public library, after school. The library had public computers and I noticed that, day after day, the kid always had a ball with one. I asked him about it and he took me online. From then on...I was hooked.

Since that time, I have watched sites, .coms and Internet technology grow, change and sometimes even disappear. It has been quite an experience.

I also began hitchhiking in 1993. I have been on the road...at some point...every year since then.

On December 16, 2004 I started something, again: My blog, "Ruthie In The Sky." I have been posting road updates (writing about my experiences as a hitchhiker) ever since.

My blog is over seven-years-old now. ( I am concerned that Google will eventually force me to make some changes that will negatively impact my blog or its extensive archives. I hope not.)

Now, I can honestly say that the Internet, that I have been "married" to for over eighteen years, is important because to me, because:

1.) It provides me with many avenues of communication.

2.) It allows me the freedom to say what I want to say.

3.) It allows me the opportunity to share my life in a very clear, concise or free-form way.

4.) It allows me to showcase my creativity in very diverse ways.

5.) It allows me to walk across the cyber bridge and stay connected with many amazing people on the other side.

6.) It allows me to learn and learn until my brain gets info-burn!

Years ago, I was featured in a news article about homeless people using public computers. Some people, in that particular community, felt that I had no right to use the computers. I also got an email from a reader, one time, that declared that I would "regret keeping (my) blog, eventually."

Well.

I now use my own computer and I am very proud of my blog. I only regret that I wasn't able to create my blog back in 1993. I believe that the Internet is actually helping to keep our world together. I am looking forward to seeing what the next eighteen years brings to the Internet.

Long live cyberspace...truly keeping pace with the human race!

No comments: