Friday, June 22, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update--When The Storm Hit

ME, WITH A BANDAID OVER MY BROKEN NOSE, STANDING BY
AN OVERPASS, OFF OF HIGHWAY 20 EAST, IN IOWA...BEFORE THE
BIG STORM HIT.

On my way from Fort Dodge to Dubuque, Iowa, I got caught in a storm. And that experience is
significant for several reasons:

1.) Even when it became obvious that the storm was turning severe, no one who went by me
stopped to pick me up. Not a God-blessed soul.

2.) I had to make two calls before anyone from law-enforcement came to get me. And I was out
by that overpass, near the exits to Mason City and Des Moines, off a rural stretch of highway 20
east.

3.) I was finally picked-up by the Sheriff's Office and transported to another cop who drove me
into Iowa Falls. I stayed in the police station waiting room overnight. That was alright. I went to
a nearby grocery store before I settled in for the night and naturally, along the way, the heavens
broke open and rained all over me. But the next day, I had to walk several miles out of the city
before anybody picked me up. That ruined my right knee and it hasn't been the same, since.





No comments: