Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Four



I walked out of the park early the next morning. I took a nice, hot shower before I left there and I was ready to travel on the road, again.

As luck would have it, I got a ride from a woman named AnneMarie, who is from British Columbia, Canada.  She and her dog just happened to be traveling across the U.S. to Toronto, Canada.

AnneMarie and her dog decided to take the Southern route.

So I rode with them across the rest of Montana and North Dakota and into central Minnesota. We stayed in motels at night and ate picnic meals from her cooler or when I bought food at a grocery store. Ms. AnneMarie is truly a saint but she would not allow me to take any photos of her or her dog.

On the day that  AnneMarie dropped me off, I was picked up by a man who brought me back to his farm that is nestled between corn fields. It is officially out in the middle of nowhere but they live in a spacious house that includes a large, screened-in porch. Bear rugs hang from some of the walls and elk heads adorn other walls.

We ate hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad and washed it all down with cold, iced tea. Then we watched a live TV broadcast of a man who walked across an open span by Niagara Falls.                                                                                                                                                                                                   

That was the last night that everything went right on the trip. The next day I arrived in the State of Iowa. And everything went wrong.

No comments: