Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Have A Good Night But Don't Sleep Here

I will post a longer update, tomorrow. I promise. But tonight, I will be sitting where I shouldn't have to be in the State that I shouldn't have to be in.

I am back in Pennsylvania.

This is because I have tried to access a homeless shelter in Upstate New York that:

1.) Has room for me.
2.) Will allow me to stay for a short amount of time (I only need to stay in one for
a week).
3.) Won't care that I am not nor will I ever be...an official resident of the State of New York.

My presence in Pennsylvania (instead of New York, right now) has very little to do with shelter space and very much to do with red-tape about residency.

But the way that I see it, as long as a shelter (ANY shelter) has a bed available, then I should be allowed to sleep in it.

And I do mean, ANYWHERE in the United States.

I can pass a background check, I am capable and willing to follow reasonable rules, I will do chores and clean up after myself.

What more do I need to do to earn a bed, in a homeless shelter, in my own Country?

I will be hanging-out at a gathering place that belongs to the local university students. I have discussed it with the "powers-that-be." But I will not be allowed to sleep, at all...not a wink whatsoever.

Last night I slept in a big, comfy bed (in another community) at a Day's Inn. Tonight, there is "no room at the inn" and I am going to have to hunker-down and wing-it.

All week long, this library is going to feature a program about "Keeping Women Safe."

I think that's hilarious.

Considering what I've had to go through just so that I won't be out on the street in this city, tonight.

I will let you know what transpires, during my quest to find a place to stay for a week...when I post my update, tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you are going to sleep in your own bed, tonight...consider yourself very blessed.

Right now, I can't even get forty-winks in at a homeless shelter.

No comments: