Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Penn State: A Lesson For Us All?

-IT'S ALL IN HOW WE SEE THINGS...FLOWERS OR ROCKS?-

-ALL PHOTOS BY RUTH RADER-



I am here in State College, Pennsylvania...which is, of course, the home of Penn State University. And as you should know, by now, the school (and the city, if you actually add up all of the damage) is reeling from a terrible trauma.

State College didn't know where to put me, last night, and so I wandered over to
the Penn State campus and took some photos. And while I was over there, I thought about the men, who were involved in (or covering-up) molesting young males on that campus.


The truth of that matter (when facts and the crime were finally revealed) has resulted in quite a backlash. The criminal investigation and the subsequent sanctions has bruised the university and embarrassed the city.

-THE CAMPUS NEWSPAPER, STUCK WITH THE TASK OF COVERING THE STORY-






And now, after losing millions of dollars and supporters (like State Farm Insurance) and players...and respect...the question is: What is Penn State going to do with what it has left?

I walked around the campus, listened as the clock chimed twelve times and wondered how I would have felt if the crime would have been committed when I went to school.



 I paused at the spot where Joe Paterno's statue has been ripped out of the ground. And I decided that it really wouldn't have mattered if his statue had been removed...or not.

This situation is not about a "graven image." It is about scruples, ethics and integrity.

Penn State can go ahead and remove all of the tangibles that it wants to. But that won't resolve the problem that it is now dealing with. Because this mess isn't about rocks or signs or stats or games. It's about people...grown adults...and their responsibility to every other man, woman and child that they come in contact with.



They now have a choice: Do the right thing or do the wrong thing...100% either way.

I hope that Penn State makes the right choices. I hope that the City of State College recognizes right for what it really is.

Maybe they will.

Maybe some people won't agree with the University's method of final justice.

Maybe they will.

After all, it's all in how we (ALL) see it.


No comments: