Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

-ALL PHOTOS BY RUTH RADER-

I am sitting in a condo that belongs to a beautiful soul. She rescued me yesterday after she finished watering the roses by a church building.

And her kindness took me from total frustration to a bed in a room with a private bath.

-ME, AT "THE HUB" ON THE CAMPUS OF PENN STATE UNIVERSITY-

I migrated back into Pennsylvania when I found out that it would very difficult for me to hitchhike
from Monticello, New York through to Connecticut. However, I wasn't happy about it. At all.

Late in the day, a couple of days ago, a Pennsylvania State Trooper stopped and talked to me. Then he drove me down to State College. We both thought that, after a few phone calls, that I was going to have a place to stay for the night in that city. That didn't happen.

I am now facing a phenomena on the eastern side of the Country. The homeless shelters will not allow me to stay because I am not a resident of New York, or Pennsylvania or Maryland. And the provider-system here won't assist me, either. They talk out of both sides of their mouth. Over and over and over.

When I finally ran out of options, late yesterday afternoon, I sat down on a bench by a church building and just looked around. There is a great deal of affluence in State College and so little willingness to share.

But one wonderful woman came around the corner, brandishing a flowing garden hose and we started a conversation. Now I'm here at her house.

I am going to stay here until tomorrow when I will return to the road. I have an idea of where I want to go but there are no guarantees that I will find food to eat and a shelter to stay in, tomorrow night.

No comments: