Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

Keep your eye on the Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania Radar because that's where I am now, and storms have a habit of popping up very fast in this part of the Country.

I left State College...first on a city bus and then via a nice lady who finally picked me up, just outside of the next town. She drove me northeast...to a guardrail outside of  a
community, about four country towns up.

It was partly sunny when she waved and drove away in her minivan.

Twenty-minutes later, the clouds became black and started scudding across the sky at an alarming rate.

"Uh oh" I thought and fumbled with my cell phone...looking frantically for Accuweather radar.

I found it...and there was the pink-and-red warning strip across the page, from the National Weather Service.

"Severe Thunderstorm WARNING!' It declared.

I looked at the ominous, nasty-looking clouds that we closing-in around me and said, "No Duh."

And then the storm hit.

Most of you know that I don't scare that easy. Obviously, anyone who hitchhikes like I do has to have a fairly thick hide. But when the heavens opened, I uttered the obligatory, "Oh Shit!" and grabbed hold of that guardrail with both of my hands.

The wind roared, the trees bent, I had trouble catching my breath and the cold rain (with only pea-sized hail, thank God!) pelted me right in the face. A few minutes later, I couldn't see 100 feet around me and the rain was shooting completely sideways.

I couldn't see if a tornado was coming. And that, my dear readers, is when my fear bell rang.

There was nowhere else to go. I was caught between the road and a steep hill...going downhill...on the other side of the rail. I got down on my knees, put my head against the guardrail, held on and prayed.

I am not exaggerating. It got that bad.

About ten vehicles went past me and nobody stopped. I was afraid that I was going to get hit. But I really couldn't move at that point.

I waited second-by-second as the storm passed through. And I leaned against the rail, panting on my knees, when the storm finally began to subside.

A chill crept in and I started to shiver. My clothes were soaked to my skin.

Just then, a kind man in an SUV stopped and helped me into his rig.

"Holy cats, lady, whaddya doin' out here?" he asked, in the distinctive Pennsylvania twang.

He drove me to Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania...which is located about 15 miles or so from Louisburg. And he knew right where to take me.

I met some wonderful ladies there and I will be staying at their old, antiquated, historical establishment over the weekend.
-ALL PHOTOS BY RUTH RADER
I PLAN TO TAKE MORE PHOTOS OVER THE WEEKEND-

There is going to be a "Fireman's Parade" later on this afternoon. And I will have a ringside seat. I will have "Fun with Photos" but no more "Fear for the Weather!"


2 comments:

Juli Henry said...

Private: has anyone commented about the pic of Terri when she was two?

Ruthie Rader said...

I have decided to post your comment, Juli.

Please see my new post, "Regarding Roseburg."