Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

After several good rides, I walked into the strange community known as Union City.

On the surface, it just looks like one more Mayberry piddle-stop in rural Pennsylvania.

But as I walked through it, I began to notice that people were looking at me...in a mean sort of way.

"I'm a fifty-six year-old lady with a pack strapped on my back. Get over yourselves, people" I thought.

I finally found a spot where someone could easily pull over and pick me up. I was still in town...and I didn't care. I called the local cops and they didn't care, either. In fact, they didn't want anything to do with me, period.

I took off my pack and sat down on it. Then I put out my thumb and waited.

The citizens of Union City drove by me or walked by me...AND NEVER...SAID...A...WORD.

After awhile, it became obvious that ignorance isn't that town's only problem.

-THE WORD  "CONFESS" IS MISSPELLED  ON THIS SIGN.
I WONDER IF ANYBODY IN THAT TOWN EVER NOTICED-

I eventually got up, walked past loud pickup trucks, drunken laughter and barking dogs until I reached the edge of town.

 I sat down on another guard rail, underneath a light pole and sighed. I had been on the road all day and I was tired.

Then a man in a green fluorescent vest, stopped his extended cab truck and offered me a ride.

"You don't need to be out here in the dark" he said.

No comments: