Friday, August 03, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

-ME, SITTING ON A TRAILWAYS BUS, IN KINGSTON, NEW YORK-

-ALL PHOTOS BY RUTH RADER-

I know that some of you have been wondering what I've been doing and where I am, now.

I am now in Oneonta, in Upstate New York.

And yes, I have given up trying to hitchhike into Connecticut. It just isn't going to happen. This is because the behavior of a segment of the East Coast population just doesn't bode well with me. Translation: They're psychotic and really no fun at all.

I sat on a guardrail, the other day and spent the afternoon...with my thumb out...and got nowhere.

 I was somewhere between Ellenville and Poughkeepsie, New York.


And I decided, after sitting for hours and not getting a ride...that my trek East was and is over.

I've been turned away at a shelter in Elmira, New York and then said "hmmm" when that City got nailed by a tornado. I've slept in motels, parks and in people's homes. And this whole journey has been a real roller~coaster ride!

I've kept my cell phone handy and snapped a whole collection of photos, too. There truly is art, everywhere if you take the time to recognize the beauty for what it is:













But not everything has been lovely. And that includes the cockroach that I discovered on the bed in my Super 8 motel room this morning.




And it is going to be a long walk back to the West Coast. But it's August and the snow isn't falling, yet. I'll make it back to where I belong...one road sign at a time.


No comments: