Friday, August 10, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part Two

-I SIT ON A GUARDRAIL, OUTSIDE OF WATTSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA
AND WAIT FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE STORM TO HIT-

I didn't think that it would take very long to get a ride to Union City, And I sure didn't believe that anybody would drive on past me when lightening began to strike all around me.

I was wrong.

The wind blew, thunder growled and lightening flashed into nearby trees...while people drove past me and never stopped.


My t-shirt and shorts were soaked by the cold rain and my attitude changed to disgust. As far as I was
concerned, there was no excuse for that town's negligence. A pickup rolled by as I wiped the rain out of my eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie. Instead of stopping, the vehicle's occupants yelled obscenities out of the window of their P.O.S. truck.

Finally, a young woman, reed-thin and doe-eyed, rolled her rig past me, stopped, turned around and  then drove back  to me.

Her ride-offer was the one that I was waiting for.

She brought me back to her parent's big, old farmhouse. I enjoyed a steak dinner, a hot shower, a soft bed and the company of the family's pet: A full-grown blue and yellow Macaw. I tried to teach the bird to say, "I'm a funky chicken." He never said it in front of me...but maybe...


-(STOCK PHOTO)-

 And while I was visiting that extended family, I went over to a house and recorded the following:

video


That video is one of the reasons why I love going to new places and meeting people. Despite the stupidity in Wattsburg, Pennsylvania...isn't life grand?

No comments: