Monday, August 20, 2012

Ruthie's Bad Times On The Road


Some of the moments on the road have been wonderful. But some have been outrageous, senseless and just plain awful.

I want to concentrate on the bad times, in this next set of posts. Because none of those wrong moments had to happen the way that they did.

Take Brunswick, Ohio, for instance.

When I tried to hitchhike out of that city, I was stopped by a crappy cop who told me to stop hitchhiking and walk.

By the time that I got to the other end of that community, my knees were two heavy orbs of pain. The size of the swollen blisters on the bottom of my left foot were atrocious.

The cop told me to walk and stop hitchhiking or I would be arrested. He meant it, too. He followed my progress, glaring from the window of his cruiser, as I moved step after agonizing step. He kept coming back to watch me and I leveled a hard curse on his person after he showed up, again, for the third time.

I finally sat down on a guardrail near the edge of the city and knew that I could go no further. My left knee was in so much pain, by that time, that I was unable to fully bend it, anymore.

It could have ended in a disaster, there. But, instead, a man who has ties to the government of Brunswick, recognized my look of pain and stopped his car. I told him what happened and why.

The man called that cop via bluetooth and put the conversation on speakerphone in his car. By the time the conversation was finished, that cop was feeling some discomfort, himself. In the first place, he could have driven me out of Brunswick and left me to hitchhike away from the City limit. In the second place, I'm sure that the cop never dreamed that one, particular man would come to my aid.

But that one angel man did help me.

He gave me a good, long ride and made sure that I had enough money for a great meal, after he dropped me off.

He looked me in the eye and said, "Ruthie, I'm going to file a formal complaint with the City on your behalf."

He was serious.

 I looked at the Marine Corps insignia on his license tag as his car pulled away. And I thought about the seven church congregations that I called, before I began that long, aching walk through Brunswick, Ohio. Not one person in any of those so-called "Christian" groups offered to help me. No one did.

I watched his car disappear up the road and I whispered, "Semper Fi, Mr. Good Guy."

5 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

really sorry about the pain you've endured. You amaze me though. You have such courage to get into a stranger's car, not knowing if they'll treat you right? I wish I had that knowledge myself.

You met a good person in this terrible circumstance. Would you trade that for the terrible times?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie. Sorry all those churches didn't help you on your way. Have a safe trip to Kansas if there is whee you are still heading. We wish you the best. The Morris family, Celina Ohio.

Ruthie Rader said...

I have faith in God...Furry Bottoms.

And He has blessed me with the gift of discernment. I don't accept every ride that's offered.

I could meet a good person without going through a bad time, too.

That cop was totally out-of-line and needed an attitude adjustment. Hopefully, he's gotten it.

Ruthie Rader said...

Yeah, I'm thinking about going to see my friend, Tracy.

Thank you for your well-wishes, Morris family.

Right back atcha! :^D

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie, I so envy your independence and courage to live life the way you want. You're a braver soul than me. Good luck to you always, stay safe and the offer still stands.