Thursday, August 30, 2012

Shadow Convention 2012 Words

The Huffington Post is now hosting what they have dubbed, "Shadow Conventions 2012." You can check-out the website here.

I posted the following comments (in a shorter, edited version because of Huff's space regulations) on the Shadow Convention message board.

You might agree with my words. And you might not.

Nevertheless, these words, here...are mine:

To The Huffington Post---

 I have spent the past eighteen-years hitchhiking all over North America. I began my blog in Portland, Oregon and sometimes I've had my own computer to use...and sometimes I haven't. Right now, I'm typing this on my laptop.

I have no permanent address and I haven't had a home, where I've stayed for more than a year, for a very long time. I have, however, traveled in and out of every State in the Continental U.S. since 1993.

I don't drive (I never have), I hitchhike everywhere. After this many years, I'm used to it. I have met new people, of every description, every day since I first stepped out onto the road.

I've witnessed, first-hand, how the provider-system in each State, works and/or doesn't work. And I've seen how the good, the bad and the ugly parts of each State's policies impact the consumers. Some of the policies are heavenly and some of them are hell.

 I've seen some people grab hold of the brass ring. I've watched others just curl up in a blanket on a city sidewalk and contaminate their brain with booze and bad chemicals.

I've visited shelters that are akin to a Club Med and I've walked out of others that were unfit for human habitation. I've met social service people who were kind and some that were downright corrosive. And, truly, I have witnessed too little teamwork and way too much "Us and them" on both sides of the equation.

What is the answer to all of this?

Where should our Country go from here?

We, the people of the United States of America...should stand firm and close ranks against the socioeconomic problems in our Country.

We should lift up our Homeland, together.

Because, no matter what, we're all going to walk into our Country's future, together...anyway.

No comments: