Sunday, September 09, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update



I am now in Nebraska.

A young man picked me up, just outside of Ames, Iowa and drove me all the way to Blair, Nebraska.

He dropped me off at the city park.

I sat down at a picnic table and took out my laptop, just on a whim. A minute later, I discovered an open wi-fi signal. So I started reading my new email.

Then a nice lady came up behind me.

She looked a bit bewildered and I asked her if I was in her spot. She explained that her church congregation was going to have a picnic, there.

I thought that she wanted me to leave. Then another woman, who had just appeared, said that I was more than welcome to stay and share the picnic with them.

So I did.

And it was a lot of fun!

We enjoyed hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken that was served right off the grille. And there were plenty of side fixings, too.

Some people played croquet in the grass, nearby. Children chased each other around the trees. An older man sang "Bill Bailey" while he "slapped spoons" on his knee. The preacher's wife took photos of everybody while the rest of us just talked each other's ears off.

Finally, when the sun set, the preacher brought over a key to a motel room and put it in my hand. So I didn't have to sleep in the park, last  night.

I got my laundry done at a woman's house, bought some food at a grocery store and then came over here to the motel.

I will go back on the road, today.

Tomorrow is my birthday. Yeehaw!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Feliz CumpleaƱos!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruthie, I hope you had a great birthday!