Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Ruthie On The Road, Update

All I could see, as the ambulance crew wheeled me into the ER in Mountain Home, Idaho, was Juli Henry's face. Those wide-set eyes staring down her nose at me, not like a snob but more like an all-knowing witch. (Trust me, in her case, she wouldn't consider that description to be an insult.)

"What did I tell you?" asked Imaginary Juli.

"See what happens when you stopped taking the medication?"

And as one nurse pumped a blood pressure cuff  up on my arm, and another person clamped a pulse
monitor on my thumb, Imaginary Juli just shook her head.

Soon I was hooked up to everything but satellite TV.

Imaginary Juli sat down on a metal stool beside me and said, "I hope you're satisfied now."

"You've got to get yourself checked-out, Ruthie or you're going to end up dead on the side of a
highway, somewhere."

I put my hands over my eyes. My head ached so badly that I thought it just might pop right off of
my neck.

Imaginary Juli sighed.

Then she looked around at the assembled medical team and said, "She's a terrible patient."

__________


I left Oregon and made my way to Mountain Home, Idaho. It was no easy feat in the cold. But I finally made it.

A minister arranged for me to get a motel room that I barely stayed in. Shortly after I checked-in, the
headache ache hit.

Several hours later, I was in the ambulance.
__________

I slept, with my face in the pillow, all day, yesterday. Tonight I will take a shuttle bus to another city
and after I get off that bus, I have no idea where I will go, next. But I will tell you that my long-distance destination is in Colorado.

Right now I know that I am sick...worse than I ever have been in my life. Nobody has to tell me that I
am in physical trouble now.

I am suffering from recurring head pain, memory blocks and a right hand that intermittently shakes. Yeah, I know. Something is wrong and that's why the doctor wanted to do a "full brain scan."

But I didn't do it, the other night. I wasn't in the shape or in the mood to deal with it, then.

I will walk myself into a medical facility after I get to Colorado. That's the plan, people, that's the plan.

Merry Christmas, Juli.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Dear Ruthie. Ruthie, Please, Please have yourself checked out medically when you get settled in Colorado. I dislike doctors and hospitals and tests too, but dang, sometimes we just can't ignore when something is wrong. Believe me, the queen of denial here, I know of where I speak on this one. But if you get this checked out, it probably is not serious and if it is something, it will be treatable, or maybe with lifestyle modifications, new meds. etc. The scariest part is not knowing and putting it off. You're not alone on this, Ruthie. We all feel that way. I need to go to have some tests too, so if I can do it, you can do it!!! Again, Merry Christmas, Dear Ruthie, Be safe and take good care, Your friend, Carolyn.

Juli Henry said...

The real Juli is glad you were in a place where an ambulance could find you, and that you are okay. Other than that, I hope you had a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie, So sorry for your health problems and sorry for the way things were left in HR. My thoughts and prayers go with you as you travel, and especially now as you sort through health issues and what to do next. -- Andy

Ruth Rader said...

Andy...I published your comment because I want the rest of my GOOD readers to recognize a BAD reader's words. YOUR words.

And as soon as I have it pulled together, I will post my response to you and your actions, in a post, here.

You AND Alan deserve my words and I guarantee, if you happen to visit my blog, again, you are going to read them.

You damn liar.

Ruth Rader said...

Thank you for your kind words, Juli. REAL ONES.

I am in Utah and will be heading for Colorado, next week.

And despite everything, I hope that both you and I get the best that we wish for in 2013.

Ruth Rader said...

Hi Carolyn...It's great to hear from you, again.
I am holed-up here in Utah, right now, where it's transformed into a serious sort of winter, overnight.

I promise you, my friend, that I will keep an eye on my health and get myself checked-out once I reach Colorado.

And, Carolyn...I would like you to send a photo of yourself to me. I think that it's time that you and I get properly introduced.

(Readers: She's pretty much a virtual mystery to me)

Make my day...send me a shot of yourself. :)

Sincerely,
Ruthie.*

Ruth Rader said...

This is from "Alan" who, at this point, is the Master of Bullshit. He and Andy are just two rotten peas in a moldy pod. The words sound nice but, believe me, they aren't meant to be. His words were sent to me via another source of communication. That is why I copied and pasted them, here:

"Dear Ruth, This is Alan from the shelter in Hood River. I read where you are having problems and in the hospital. I am sorry to hear that, and hope that you will soon be better. I have been worried about you since I heard that you left, and hope also that you can find a good place where you have some stability and be safe. Please take care of yourself. Alan"

Oh, I'm taking care of myself, Alan. And the first way that I chose to do that was to get far, far away from you.

lisa ann said...

Ruthie, I dont know if my first comment went through or not so let me re-introduce myself. I'm a new follower of your blog and a big fan of your heart! I live in Utah & if you need assistance in any way please let me know on here. I hope you are feeling better, that is scarey as h_ _ _ _! I mean what I say, be it a ride or a bed you have a friend in Utah.

Ruth Rader said...

Lisa Ann...I am in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I had a heck of a night last night and I am going to publish a road update here on the blog.

Contact me by email:
ruth.rader@gmail.com

I would love to take you up on your offer, tonight. Tomorrow I will handle things on my own.

However, a nice visit (have I got stories to tell you) a bath and a bed sounds great to me.

Let me know.