Saturday, January 26, 2013

Stephen King: Guns With No Glory


 


-ADDITIONAL EDITS,  ADDED TO THE ORIGINAL "GUNS" COVER, 
BY RUTH RADER-




"Rage" as described on the Stephen King website

"Rage" as described on the Wikipedia website

"Anyone who doesn't feel a qualm of regret at throwing a blanket over the truth is an asshole with no
conscience."--Stephen King
______________

I first heard about the essay "Guns" by Stephen King, yesterday while checking my email. Then I read the first few pages of  that essay and I was hooked. I still am.

I'm not going to declare that I agree with what Mr. King wrote. But I don't totally disagree, either.

In fact, King made it clear that he wrote the essay to open up the subject of gun control to discussion and debate. And that is fine by me. After all, talking is always better than shooting...in most cases, anyway.

According to the essay, Stephen King wrote a story, (his self-described "first novel") while he was still in high school. The story, originally titled "Getting It On", is about a student (a potential shooter) who takes a class hostage. The story was later published under the title "Rage."

And then...life began to imitate art:

JEFF COX

DUSTIN PIERCE

BARRY LOUKAITIS

MICHAEL CARNEAL

Cox, Pierce, Loukaitis and Carneal read the novel, "Rage." And in the end, it was almost as if all four of the young men read the same "shooter's bible." Stephen King, however, denies any responsibility for what they did after reading his book. But Mr. King did, eventually, see to it that the novel was removed, for the most part, from public circulation.

But Mr. King's essay did remind me of all of the cowboy-Western-shoot'em ups that America watched, years ago:






I don't want to spoil the read for those who haven't checked it out, yet. But I highly recommend this essay to everyone.

After all, as Stephen King so succinctly put it, "If  you happened to mistake your wife or live-in partner for a crazed drug addict...you couldn't shoot her with a burglar alarm."

Why did he write that?

Read his essay.

Then let me know what you think of it.

All profits from the essay will be donated to the BRADY CAMPAIGN TO END GUN VIOLENCE.

No comments: