Friday, February 01, 2013

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part One

 
 
-ALL PHOTOS BY RUTH RADER-


I got tired of the drunks, smokers and bipolar crazies, so I left La Grande, Oregon. I
took a local shuttle bus right into a winter storm warning.

When I stepped off the bus in La Grande, the snow was already falling. And as I
walked down to the Interstate ramp, the snow began falling harder. First I stood and then I
sat...on my pack, wrapped-up in my sleeping bag, two hoods and a hat on my head, three scarves
wrapped around my neck and hand warmers in my gloves.

There I remained, for four-and-a-half hours, before three young people from the Dairy Queen came to my rescue.

I ended up in an old camp trailer that the young man fixed-up for me, in short order. He ran an extension cord into his mobile home. Then he hooked the other end up to a space heater and a lamp. Then he brought out blankets, a pillow, a thermos filled with boiling water, a mug, tea bags, a box dinner of chicken strips and fries and a loaf of homemade banana chocolate bread.

I pulled off my wet socks, ate the food, drank some hot tea, pulled the blankets up around me, laid my head on the pillow and went right to sleep.

The next day, I got a shower, washed my clothes and re-packed my gear. Then the young man drove me to a rest area that is located outside of La Grande. He dropped me off there and a few moments later, a woman came up to me.

She asked me if I wanted a ride and pointed to her husband.

Her husband was sitting in the driver's seat, of a truck that belongs to the freight-hauling division of
the transport group known as C.R. England.

No comments: