Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ruthie On The Road, Update

So now I am in a small-town city in north-central Oregon.

I am taking it easy while the vision in my left eye continues to erode.

I am convinced that the floaters in that eye will multiply. Eventually, my retina will just fall apart and I will go blind that eye.

In the meantime, I will continue to cherish all of the great and wonderful things that I see...every day. And I will not take all of my eye's snapshots for granted.

The weather is allowing me to stay in a safe, warm place at night. And the warming shelter that I stay in at night, is far different from many that I have spent time in, before: There is a tremendous amount of space, available. I don't have to listen to the sound of raving drunks. The place doesn't stink like an old ashtray. Everyone sleeps behind their own privacy partition. And the shelter includes two big restrooms, one for the men and one for the women. Plus, there are nice, clean showers available that we can use, whenever we want to. The shelter provides a clean towel, washcloth and everything else that's needed to really get cleaned up.

I've met some cool people here and I'm glad that I made the effort to get up here. My experience here has nailed down my point that there is a right and a wrong way to operate a shelter...any kind of shelter.


No comments: