Monday, March 18, 2013

What Would Have Happened?

This is part of the story (related to what happened when I contacted that Baptist church in Nevada) that I believe bears some consideration. So I am posting a copy of the email, that I just sent to the pastor of that congregation: 

I appreciate the fact that you have a nifty way to communicate with you. This is because something happened, recently, that involved your congregation and you probably don't even know about it. (Then again, by now, you might.)

Recently, I went back out on the road and hitchhiked from Ontario, Oregon to Biggs, Oregon and south to Bend, Oregon and on into California. I made it to Red Bluff and Susanville, California before I ended up on an onramp outside of Bordtown (sp?) late one afternoon.

I plunked down my black backpack by the light pole and then sat down on my pack and stuck out my thumb. Eventually, two young women stopped in what I remember to be a silver-colored SUV (but I could be wrong about that since I see a great many vehicles across the span of the average day, on the road.)

I remember how those two women smiled and how they were dressed like hippies. One woman had brown hair and dimples and the other one had blond hair and some incredible, full-color tattoos on her arms. I told them that I was looking for a place to spend the night and that I wanted to get through the Reno metro area.

They told me that they were just going to the next exit. So we decided that I should wait for a better ride. They said that they had no idea who could help me with lodging for that night. I didn't have the money for a motel but I would have happily stayed in a tent in someone's backyard as long as I had some sort of a decent bathroom option.

I remember that the brown-haired lady called back, "God Bless You!" as their rig pulled away. Before the rig rolled down the ramp, I saw an ad wrapped-around the back license tag.
Something told me that I had to make contact with that church...your church.

A young man stopped and picked me up. I told him about that church and told him that I wanted to go there. We googled the building address and headed in that direction.
We actually got there and looked at all of the cars and people, roaming around the place.

I felt intimidated. I wondered what your congregation would think of a roadie like me, suddenly showing up in the early evening hours, with no shower and a dusty backpack.
So, (a decision that I regret, now) I asked the young man to take me to the Baptist church building, that he suggested, and drop me off, there.
What transpired after that is contained in a post in my blog. If you go there, you will find the post, right away.

What bothers me most about what happened at the Baptist church is how they chose to see me. From the get-go, from the time that they locked me out of the church building to the moment that they dropped me off outside of Carson City...it was all "Us And Them." Pink Floyd's song personified.

Now, I wonder what would have happened if I had walked into YOUR church building. I would like to get an answer from you.

PLEASE tell those two ladies, who met with me for five minutes in that rig, "hello" for me and tell them that I am now in New Mexico.

Sincerely,
Ruthie Rader

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would post with their real name and risk one of your "black curses?" Let me get this clear, Christians are supposed to put you up, a freeloader who could get a job instead of living off of others, in a swank hotel, give you pocket money, warm food, wi-fi, a place to do laundry and if they don't, they aren't good Christians? I never pick up hitchhikers as one doesn't know motive. You might look like an innocent old lady but who knows if you have a knife or a gun and kill me and take off in my car? As far as you calling the cops when you can't get a ride and need shelter, do you call 911? I find that akin to people calling 911 because McDonald's didn't put pickles on their sandwich. You should be prosecuted. You obviously don't pay taxes but I do, and I don't want your lazy ass using resources my tax dollars pay for to pick you up on a lonely highway. Get a friggin job! Go flip burgers and then you can afford your own digs complete with shower and clean sheets. Yes, you do have entitlement syndrome. Maybe with some of the gov't benefits you seem to be receiving, you should get some psychiatric care.

Ruth Rader said...

You just keep on picking at this post, don't you?

I bet I know why: You never counted on me writing about the whole thing in my blog and taking photos.

But I did.

I have gone past that incident, now but you, obviously, have not. I think that you should ask yourself why you are so obsessed with this particular post?

I notice that you haven't chosen to respond to fellow blogger Juli's comments. Nor have you answered her questions.

You can't bring yourself to do that, can you?

You are so bitter...biiiiitttteeeer!!

Well, wah. That's your problem.

So you're afraid of my curses, eh?

Well, people who have a guilty conscience and something bad within themselves, to hide...often react like you do.

There is a space that spans, like the one between the east and western end of the Cosmos, between a "swank hotel" and where those unholy hypocrites put me that night.

I just finished a stint at a rest area. I nearly spent two whole nights, there. I say "nearly" because some REAL Christians decided that wasn't a suitable solution and lodged me in a Motel 6, instead.

(Now, breathe...I'd just hate to see you fall over in an apoplectic
fit...LOL!)

I didn't ask for nor did I expect to walk into a "swank hotel" but those "Christian" cretins never should have paid to place me where they did.

You saw those photos and that's what has you more upset, than anything. Because when you look at them...the truth emerges, one telling frame at a time. And then you feel a real feeling of shame begin to nudge you.

And you just can't have that, can you?

No, but you DO have that huge, fancy church building. The same one that you initially locked me out of.

When fellow blogger, Juli, asked why you locked the door in the first place and then implied that you may have been trying to hide some sort of activity that you all were engaging in with those children...you didn't touch her words with a ten-foot disclaimer.

~~Things that make one go,"Hrrrmmm."~~

I will tell you once again: You are not fooling anybody, least of all, me.

Then halfway through your latest comment, you shifted gears and declared that you never "pick up hitchhikers."

Yeah, I just bet you don't.

Between the two of us, I have more faith and courage than you do. And that open-attitude has linked me closer to God and to the rest of Humanity.

And that, I guarantee you, will never result in a prosecution.

Awwww...gee.

Curmudgeon is too good a word for you.

Entitle THAT, you fool.

Ruth Rader said...