Sunday, June 30, 2013

Snowden And Securing The Future

Europe Rages After Snowden's Revelations

CBS: Snowden Now Totally Trapped At Moscow Airport

What if the interests of the U. S. Government aren't the same as the interests of its citizens?

What would Edward Joseph Snowden say about that?

These are two more very good questions.

We are about to celebrate Independence Day. To me, independence means being free to be who I am...with tolerance and respect.

I don't want or need anyone else, on any Federal level, to tell me how to live my life.

And I don't want or need a nanny when I'm online or when I make a phone call or when I attend a gathering or when I vote or go shopping or when I sign a petition or endorse or rebuke someone else that I may or may not agree with. I don't want a G-man or woman to dictate how I should worship, what I should partake of (I belong to NORML) or who I should call my friend. I want to be free to support or protest against a war or a social issue. I also want to be free to give money to or make a speech against any person, place or thing without a sneaking, snooping, spying entity waiting to pounce on me.

I sincerely don't want to hurt anyone else and I obviously don't want anyone to hurt me. I do want to be free to respectfully agree or disagree with whomever I choose. I want to be me without a line of tiny, snooping electric rats...trailing along behind me.

I will never be everything to everybody but as long as I am free to be me...life will continue to be okay. I'm doing just fine on my own. I don't need any "official intervention" or "Federal mind reset", thank you very much.

I don't need a permit to breathe. And how many beats my heart makes per minute is really nobody's business but mine.

Edward Snowden opened the box of secrets that the United States Government thought that it had a tight lock on. And he reminded us that we are all in this Nation together. We are unique and yet we are united.

So what does the long nose of  the N.S.A. have to do with that fact?

And how will their data collecting and tabulating and wiretapping and categorizing and listening
and reading and conspiring...preserve or improve our quality of life?

And doesn't the N.S.A.'s practices have more to do with greed, prejudice, politics and power
than National security?

It's as if some people in the U.S. Government just want to whittle us all down to a uniform
shape and size. A sort of a "Citizen-One-Size-Fits-All" that they can manipulate and control,
at will.

And I don't want to join the ranks of the "Wooden, Witless and Artificial Americans." I want
to keep on growing, like the "Free Tree" that I am...spreading my roots and branching out all
over the place.

My thoughts are with Edward Snowden today. And my Country. And the World that we all
live in.

I hope that we all give Ed Snowden as much peace of mind as he has tried so hard to give
to us.

No comments: