Monday, July 22, 2013

Ruthie On The Road, Update--Part One


                                -ALL PHOTOS/EDITS BY RUTH RADER-


I have been running hard on the road for the past several weeks. And that is why I haven't
posted any new updates for awhile. I'm not in jail...or dead...I'm just really busy!

I left Kansas on a shuttle bus that brought me up to Lincoln, Nebraska. From there, I
rolled down the highway on a big, Burlington Trails bus to Mitchell, South Dakota.

When I stepped off  that bus, I was officially on my own.

Since that day, I have hitchhiked across the rest of South Dakota, Montana, Idaho...down
through eastern Washington State...and back into Oregon.

I divorced that last State on the list, yesterday. But let me back me up...



South Dakota is a terrible State to hitchhike through in the Summertime. Not because
of the people or the heat. It's the flies...oh, those flies!

As you can see, in the above photograph, I am really wrapped-up. I did that to protect
myself from the meanest, most malicious and relentless flies in this part of the Country!

They BIGHT...BITE...CHOMP, CHEW AND OTHERWISE TORTURE ANYONE
THAT SITS IN ONE PLACE FOR MORE THAN FIVE MINUTES!!!

I spent a year in Alaska and I never experienced anything like those little, winged
bastards in South Dakota!

Those particular insects should be declared illegal and totally eradicated from the
face of the Earth!

I sat at the particular location, pictured above, for an excruciating amount of time.
I didn't have a single source of insect spray and I finally broke down and took out
my trusty cell phone. I turned it on, Googled a preacher in that town, called him
and asked for one thing: DEET.

He brought it to me. Bless his heart. Bless his family, his home and his dreams.

After I grabbed that can of Deep Woods Off! and sprayed myself  thoroughly...those
South Dakota savages known as flies...disappeared.

Yeahhhh.

No comments: