Monday, July 08, 2013

Ruthie On The Road, Update


Thanks to the fact that I sat in the sun, by the side of the ramp, yesterday and never got a
ride...I got a nasty sunburn.

I not only got a sunburn, but I became seriously over-heated, too.

As you can see in the photograph, my skin was burnt, my jaw became slack, I became
listless and was breathing exclusively through my mouth.

Did I drink water while I was out there?

Yes.

Did I wear sunscreen?

Yes, 50 SPF.

But the sun, the heat and the humidity in South Dakota is brutal and relentless.

I am going to go back out onto the ramp and try again.

I am hitching westbound on I-90.

The people at this travel center are wonderful. They made sure that I got a cold shower and I had enough on me to do my laundry and get some cold drinks, as well. And when the stormy weather rolled-in, they let me stay inside, overnight.

I am going to go back out and try to get a ride out of here, today. The forecast is calling for more of the same sunshine and a possibility of severe storms, this afternoon.

Wish me luck!*

No comments: